The New Logo

The New Logo

Monday, June 7, 2010

Take It Easy LeBrett

I had a couple conversations with people about LeBron James and his free agency especially the day after he got ousted from the playoffs.  Some told me how sick they were of all of the coverage, I personally thought that it was fascinating because I consider this the most important story of 2010, the free agency that is not LeBron James himself. But to me, the Larry King interview he did on Friday was the definition of 'over-the-top.'

First of all, this is all happening during the NBA Finals and even with the biggest rivalry in their sport, the focus still remains on LeBron James.  People want to know everything that is going on or is about to happen. Like this piece from Adrian Wojnarowski who writes that the Chicago Bulls are making a down payment by getting Tom Thibodeau who just signed an agent from Worldwide Wes' agency.  Hmm interesting developments right here, but it doesn't seal it because every team who has a chance will make their pitch at LeBron for why he should come here.  Reading and listening to all the different approaches reminds me so much of what it would have been like had James had to go to school for a year.  Every school who had a shot would pull out their biggest guns to try to get LBJ for one year.

I think this summer is comparable if not worse than the Brett Favre drama that unfolded in the past couple of years because LeBron is going to do interviews with major news networks, he is going to do things that will keep himself in the news for the sole fact of... he loves the attention. Rumor has it, according to ESPN's Bill Simmons and Ric Bucher that LeBron was going to sit courtside last night, but cancelled 90 minutes before the game started. Thank God his PR people prevented him from sitting courtside, I couldn't even imagine the media outcry if he was there. Finally, someone got in his head last night and said "Look man you can't keep pulling this shit without your fans starting to get mad." Personally, I think it would be embarrassing for him to sit courtside to watch a team that kicked his ass in the playoffs and the Lakers play. I would have no problem if he sat in the press box or something, but to be right in the middle of the action seems a bit contrived. 

As excited as I am for July 1st, I think the media's focus should remain on the NBA Finals and talentless hacks like me should be also be held to that standard. But, it's so damn fascinating that you cannot help but talk about LeBron James, maybe that what he desires.

-Charlie.

No comments: