The New Logo

The New Logo

Saturday, June 12, 2010

How Game 4 Changed My Opinion on Big Baby

I have told people that I like the Boston Celtics but I really do hate Glen 'Big Baby' Davis.  The reasons were multiple, one he decided that he needed a nickname change because he grew out of Big Baby, which earned a child please from all of us here at Chuck's Corner.  Two, he always tried to start shit with Brandon Jennings and the Milwaukee Bucks therefore making him the number one enemy on the squad.  But last night proved to me that Davis can play with anyone in the league.

When he came out early from LSU I didn't see him as even a contributor in the NBA. It felt like in college he was a poor man's Sean May who really didn't pan out in the NBA and fair to call him a bust.  The nickname Big Baby fit well because the guy seemed like a complete headcase whether it was Davis crying due to Kevin Garnett ripping into you like the dog that shitted all over the carpet. Or getting into a fist fight with your buddy leading to you being out for two months, it just felt like Big Baby couldn't keep up with the NBA. But things are starting to work for Davis...

 I truly believe that Davis could be a starter for an NBA team next season. It might not be a playoff team, but he could provide big things for a team as probably their third-best player or fourth. I love his aggressive style that sometimes gets him into trouble with the refs but I think Davis really does bust his ass. In my opinion, it's due to playing with Kevin Garnett in practice and KG pushing Davis everyday.  Davis still could afford to lose a couple pounds so he can keep up defensively with the guys who play outside the lane. If he dealing with a guy who is a primary post player, Davis is very solid.  In addition, this isn't the only good performance by Davis, he has been doing big things for the Celts with KG not being 100 percent (c'mon we all know it even though no one has said it). My gushing of Davis probably wouldn't have come if Nate Robinson hadn't been playing on Thursday night.

Honestly, I would pitch to ESPN a reality show featuring Robinson and Davis. They seemed like guys who played all throughout high school, college, and now the pros. My opinion of this grew when they did the press conference together and Nate nicknamed the combination "Shrek and Donkey".  Awesome nickname for those two guys and really they fed off of each other so nicely, which is something you usually do not see from two bench players.

The bench for the Celtics might be the difference in this 2-2 series. The Lakers are over-using Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and others because their bench is giving them nothing. I mean Lamar Odom had one decent game but still, nobody hasn't risen to the occasion like Davis and others. Another underrated player has been Tony Allen and his defense on Kobe.  I am taking the Celtics in Game 5, I think the bench will be too strong for the Lakers.

-Charlie.

End.

No comments: