The New Logo

The New Logo

Saturday, June 12, 2010

USA-England and Who Advances Into The Round of 16

Ideally, I wanted a couple buddies of mine to put together a post with their thoughts about the World Cup and who would advance, how far, and other nuggets of information that I couldn't provide you. I myself was going to do is this huge post breaking down each team but it doesn't make sense so of course I had to say something about USA and England.

I believe this is the biggest soccer game in American history because there are people who say 'you know I don't like it that much but I will watch.' People recognize that England is one of the best countries for soccer and they know their best athletes are soccer players unlike the US.  There is a general interest in this game compared to if the Yanks were playing Cameroon. To me, it reminds me of the US Hockey this year.

Both teams are playing at their best internationally, and they have been building up throughout the decade to where we are now. The US Hockey team took on Canada in the group stages and they ended up crushing the Canadians drawing big time interest to fans everywhere including me.  The Yanks have the same opportunity tomorrow to officially put soccer on the map in the United States. If they beat England, it will be headline news all over America and people will be immediately drawn in.  The next question can they do it?

My answer would be maybe.  I believe England's goalkeeper whoever they decide to go with David James or Robert Green is faulty. I feel the US has a considerable advantage with Tim Howard in goal and sometimes the difference can be the goalkeeper.  In the Confederations Cup, Howard couldn't have played better making some unbelievable saves and truly played his ass off.  I think he lives for the big moment and I expect a huge game out of Howard. I do worry about the United States back line whoever coach Bob Bradley decides to put out there in the back.  

I told people earlier this week that I think it's going to be a tie at 1-1 but you know what? That's a cop out and I trust in the Yanks to win this match 2-1.  It will be a thrill-seeking game and something I cannot wait for as we are merely 12 hours away. I hope the Three Lions know... The Yanks are coming.

For anyone who cares, here is who I think advances then your champion
GROUP A: 1.) Mexico  2.) France- 3.) Uruguay  4.)South Africa

GROUP B: 1.) Argentina 2.) Nigeria  3.) South Korea 4.) Greece

GROUP C: 1.) United States 2.) England 3.) Slovenia 4.)

GROUP D: 1.) Ghana  2.) Germany 3.) Serbia 4.) Australia

GROUP E: 1.) Netherlands  2.) Cameroon 3.)Denmark  4.) Japan

GROUP F:  1.) Italy  2.) Paraguay 3.) Slovakia  4.) New Zealand

GROUP G: 1.)Brazil  2.) Ivory Coast 3.) Portugal 4.) North Korea

GROUP H: 1.) Spain  2.) Chile  3.) Switzerland  4.)Honduras 

ROUND OF 16: Nigeria over Mexico, Argentina over France, Germany over United States, England over Ghana, Netherlands over Paraguay, Italy over Cameroon  Brazil over Chile, Ivory Coast over Spain (Upset pick! why not, I know nothing and can look like a genius!)

ROUND of 8: Nigeria over Germany,  Brazil over Netherlands, Argentina over England, Italy over Ivory Coast 

SEMI FINALS: Brazil over Nigeria, Argentina over Italy

FINAL: Brazil over Argentina- Original pick, I know but like I said, it is half-assed at best so who knows.

-Charlie.

No comments: