The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hating LeBron is the New Cool Thing

I have never been a big LeBron James fan. As a kid, I use to hang different Sports Illustrated covers and pictures around my walls and actually the LeBron cover from his junior in high school had a spot.  I also probably had another cover from an NBA preview. But I had a quote from some magazine on my wall that said "You call yourself King James and you're in dunking on pimple-faced dorks in high school?" I never liked the name King James because it bothers me to crown this guy as the next one without winning a damn thing.  

I always held a grudge to LeBron when everybody loved the guy starting in the 2004 season.  People would talk about how amazing some of the things he was doing and that this guy for sure is the next "Michael Jordan."  I still respected what LeBron did, just not like a bunch of my friends who were attracted to him and were completely in his camp over any other player. Let's also remember this is the same time Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers hit the wall in the middle 2000s therefore people gravitated towards LBJ.  Some might say Dwyane Wade was put on a pedestal after his 2006 NBA Finals victory but still people put James >Wade which I could agree even if DWade has a ring.

Now let's go to 2009-2010 season, LeBron is the best player in the NBA period.  Kevin Durant isn't there yet, great player especially after watching him against the Lakers, Kobe is banged up and he is on the downside of his career, and Melo/Wade have flaws (no defense/three point shots).  There is no more Kobe-LeBron debates that ruled my senior of high school and the doubters have been silence about the flaws of James. He improved his three-point shooting and free throws plus James has got better in the late game heroics.  Hell, he put up 29.7 PPG 7.3 RPG 8.6 APG, that is a mammoth season.  The point I am trying to make now three paragraphs in is people want to hate LeBron now in my age range.

When I did my Three E's of LeBron, you can tell I didn't want to hear an excuse if they lose because he is playing through injury. I stand by that, but I cannot get out of my head how many people from age 17-23 dislike LeBron.  I thought I was a minority member of this fan club, and now I am a part of the majority. In that same post, some commenter listed "You forgot one, Egomaniac."  Maybe people got fed up with ego and do not like his cocky demeanor to the game. I said in January about the ego of LeBron and the problems with Mr. James.  I also said that it isn't his fault for feeling like Vinnie Chase of Entourage.  Chase gets his ego blown up by everyone around him whether it's girls, Drama/Turtle, and somewhat Ari. E is the only one to step up to him and say "hey you're wrong."  LBJ is living that Chase's dreamworld where no one is telling him no and letting him do whatever he wants.  

Last night as the Cavs got thrashed by the Boston Celtics 104-86, all sorts of statuses of Facebook and Twitter popped up about ripping on LeBron because now liking LeBron is comparable to liking the New York Yankees, Dallas Cowboys, Notre Dame Fighting Irish football, and Kentucky Wildcat basketball. It wasn't like that two years ago because people could choose sides, now they have to accept that LeBron is the best. When someone is the best at something, it bothers the big time sports fans to no avail. They do not want to be "that guy" who is a big LBJ fan and talks him up all the time.  If you don't believe, look at some recent tweets from my friends... JSStephan: Big time LeBron fan   The others (Yeedoski/hehateme4/CMONMANN- LBJ Haters). 

CMONMANN: I don't care who wins the NBA Championship as long as it's not the Cavs...
JSStephan: @CMONMANN don't make me stomp u when I get home.
Yeedoski: @CMONMANN I'd have to agree, anyone but the cavs, @JSStephan lebron doesn't deserve it, he doesn't even ball he just gorillas people
hehateme4 @yeedoski I couldn't have put it better myself. I gotta agree with @CMONMANN and say fuck that gorilla. @JSStephan likes fags aka Cristiano
JSStephan @hehateme4 @CMONMANN @yeedoski all you haters keep talking.
CMONMANN @JSStephan drunk dialin' me to explain the loss?
JSStephan @CMONMANN not answering cu your too busy with with @FroggysB ?thanks ass.
CMONMANN @JSStephan No sir just didn't feel my phone vibrate...better be worried about that elbow

All of these are friends of mine who are just ragging on LeBron. I cannot understand it because I remember certain guys who were dissing Bron were on his bandwagon a couple years ago.  People never want to like the player they seen posted all over the SportsCLeBron, go for it but don't expect me to be agreeing with everything you say like years past.

-Charlie.

No comments: