The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Momentum Guides the Brewers

I am still going to write something nice about the Milwaukee Brewers after they came off a sweep to only get blown out last night because I even know better not to put Manny Parra in a bases loaded situation. That's like picking on a guy three times your size, you are just asking for it.   Anyways, I believe that I have figured out what drives the Brewers this season, it's not Prince Fielder like I said last week rather it's a little thing I like to call momentum. 

I know that seems like an easy answer, but really except for the 3-2 victory Saturday night when have you seen the Crew grit a game out?  They don't.  Simply put, I will head to beautiful Miller Park in the end of May hoping that I see Bernie Brewer sliding down a bunch of times and a crooked number on the scoreboard.  I doubt I will come to the ball park and see a pitcher's duel, this doesn't appear to be that kind of team.  There is a lot of guys who deserve credit for playing well and I think even with the next five being brutal, the Crew could find themselves above .500. 

The momentum thing is pretty obvious if you ask me.  The Brewers have put up 10-plus runs more than anyone else in the major leagues right now and it appears that when one person starts hitting everybody does. I mean the first two games of the Los Angeles series were clear indications of that and the second Arizona game also showed what one player can do to power the team (see Jody Gerut who wins the "Most Unlikely Brewer to Hit for the Cycle Award.").  The whole momentum thing basically was my point about Fielder last week, once he starts really hitting the ball and not just the occasional homer (hit two in six games, promising! haha) the Brewers will become really good. But it's not just the hitting, the pitching seems to be settling in.

Doug Davis had a pretty solid performance last night, which makes a second straight start that DD has looked good in.  Yes, he did hit a "Dave Bush Wall" in sixth but the Rickie Weeks' error had a lot to do with that inning continuing the way it did.  Like I said before, the decision to bring Parra in was mesmerizing and the wrong one at that.  The way Davis is pitching gives me hope that the Crew can get things going in the right direction. 

Another guy who deserves a ton of credit for his work on the mound is Chris Narveson. He has done work so far replacing Jeff Suppan and a guy who definitely has a bright future.  Narveson seems to be the kind of guy who gets into a groove and once he is there, no one is touching him.  I would also add that if he doesn't find that groove, things turn ugly quick.  We saw that once this year in the first inning of his first start, which Bill 'the Rock' Schroeder has reminded us a million times about already.  I do wonder what might happen in two months when teams start to have a book on him though, could be a different story. 

Who knows, I sounded down and out about the Brewers who then rattled off five out of six games to prove me wrong therefore they might lose that same amount just to spite me.  Whatever the case may be, I still believe in a good Brewer season.

-Charlie.

No comments: