The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Thoughts From Game 1: Kobe's Rest, Look out for LO, Gasol's Respect

I think everyone I have talked to you enjoys the NBA were pretty excited for the series between the Phoenix Suns and Los Angeles Lakers. I know that I am pumped for that one for a variety of reasons and it's one of those series where I am torn.  I enjoy the Los Angeles Lakers because I consider myself someone who stands in Kobe's corner even though I would put LBJ ahead of him as best overall and who I probably built my team around (age reasons) but he is the best closer in the game, no one better. But I like Steve Nash plus a variety of others on the Suns. There are only a few teams I actually don't like which is the Detroit Pistons, Orlando Magic, Atlanta Hawks, Utah Jazz (except for Wes!), Chicago Bulls (sorta), and Cleveland Cavaliers

Anyways here are a few thoughts about last night blow out where the Lakers dominated 128-107 and if things continue this could be another quick series for the Lakers, which I think is a big reason L.A. is playing that much better.  The Lakers have a variety of old and young players but I think they are a team who needs rest to regroup and it makes the team that much better. 

Whose benefits the most out of this?  Kobe Bryant, he looked tired against Oklahoma City, and then things seemed to get better against Utah, then last night Bryant dropped 40 pts (13/23) 5 5. He only shot 23 times, got to the line twelve times and basically lived up to the ill-advised Spike Lee documentary because Bryant did work. There is no one on the Suns who can keep up with a rested Kobe and that is a big fat rut-roh for the Suns.

Another rut-roh for the Suns is the play of Lamar Odom.  We saw this last year in the Western Conference Championship and the NBA Finals.  I devoted an entire post to him last year because LO was that damn good deep in the playoffs and he came up with a 19 and 19, abused Amar'e Stoudamire on the glass in Game 1 today.  Odom is a type of guy who needs one good game and he appears to take off for the next couple of games. I expect some big things out of Odom in the coming weeks and the fact you can have a front line of 6'11 7'0 7'1 is just plain scary and no one in the NBA can stop that combination when they are playing like they did in Game 1. 

When are we going to all agree that Pau Gasol is a top three power forward right now in the NBA? He plays pretty good defense and I believe he has washed off the reputation of being softer than Charmin inside the lane. I personally would love him on my team and I can only think of a couple big men that I would rather have on my team. I believe people don't like him because he yells alot, complains about calls, and looks like he lives outside of the Staples Center. I can't blame those people but you gotta give respect when it's due.

Finally, a quick thought on the Suns.  They cannot have Steve Nash only shooting the ball twelve times and getting to the line only twice in a game. They need more out of Nash and he can exploit the Lakers in the lane with Derek Fisher inside.  They can win the second game but they will need ten times a better defensive performance.

-Charlie.

No comments: