The New Logo

The New Logo

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Not So Fast KD & Laker/Jazz Discussion

Everybody got very exciting including myself of what the Oklahoma City Thunder could do in the NBA Playoffs because of the play of Kevin Durant throughout the season.  Then that all came crashing down to earth when their team had to face the Los Angeles Lakers.

It wasn't the best performance we have seen out of the Lakers but they did enough to frustrate Durant, never letting him go off like he did in the regular season.  I forgot about how good Ron Artest can be as a defender until the first round because during the season, he looked lost on this Laker team and didn't seem like he really fit into their system.  But Ron proved once again why he is a top five defender, he did a magnificent job on the young Durant.  This wasn't the only thing telling about telling about this series.

The Lakers' perimeter defense was so bad that people like my roommate B-Squared made the claim, "I think Russell Westbrook is more key to the Thunder's success than Durant." This deserves a big time DOH but honestly, I could see why he thought this way.  Derek Fisher looks like a 40 year old guy playing at the rec center and Kobe Bryant's body is the definition of playing through injury. Westbrook really had a breakout series and put his name on the map saying "I am a great second banana, and look out for us in the future." This should create another worry for the Lakers though....

They have to face Utah's Deron Williams who all the media has anointed him the "best point guard in the NBA." I would have to agree even if I don't like him (never enjoyed his career at Illinois).  He could create some major problems for that poor Laker defense we discussed.  I have a distinct feeling that Williams will put up 25 or more easily and make this series more interesting than the last two times they met. 

A lot like the Celtics-Cavs, the front court play will be very interesting.  The Jazz do have the size to throw at Pau Gasol with the physical play of Carlos Boozer and Paul Milsap. I expect Gasol to struggle with those two coming at him consistently and especially if Andrew Bynum is unable to play at 100%. I would give the Jazz the advantage almost having both Boozer/Milsap

The other big key is the Ron Artest/Lamar Odom vs. Wes Matthews/CJ Miles match up.  I am puzzled to think who really has the edge, I mean yes the Lakers have the experience but Miles/Matthews has been playing at a superior level.  I believe the swing men will be the difference in this series.

I expect a physical series and a very good series, there will be a ton of emotion.  They do not like each other but I worry about the Jazz's ability to win in Los Angeles (something like 0-14 in the playoffs). If the Jazz want to win, they need a Game 1 or Game 2 in LA.  I have the Lakeshow in 7.

-Charlie.

2 comments:

Jared said...

Hey Chuck,

I have one comment. There is no way that Boozer/Milsap has the advantage over Gasol/Bynum. THERE IS NO WAY. Period. I hope you are trying to strike an arguement from this point because I don't know where you can prove this. Come on, I mean Gasol is in the top five, if not one of the best, PF's in the NBA today. The only people I would take over Gasol would be Howard (if you consider him a PF) and Dirk Dog. But,that is my personal opinon. I understand that Boozer is good but he is in no way close to Gasol. There isn't a team left in the West that will be able to match up well with the Lakers size. I mean, Kobe is still dominant and the heart/soul of the team but the reason why the Lakers are winning is because of Gasol and Bynum. It is no longer just the Kobe show and he knows that. Game 5 is a perfect example.

And come on buddy, WM and CJ Miles in comparison to Ron Artest and Lamar Odom. A rookie (Marqutte Boy) and back-up thrown into a starter cause of injury are better than Lamar Odom and Ron Artest. There is not one person that knows NBA that would choose to have WM/Miles over Artest/Odom. Yes, Artest/Odom don't score as much as they use too but, I think people forget the fact that there top role isn't to be top scorers. With Kobe/Gasol/Bynum/Fisher, people forget that points don't go around to easily on the Lakers. That is why they are the most balance team in the NBA.

In the end, I love you bud and I don't mean anything to harsh but I can't agree with that part of the psot. Look forward to talking more about it on Monday. Had to get my heated disscusion in for the day

Unknown said...

1.) I said almost first off all hahaha. The only reason is the Bynum injury, he has a slight tear of the meniscus.

I think you have to give Gasol most of the credit and Artest's defense for the first round victory. I will agree today's performance by Gasol/Kobe speaks volume. If those two put 25-plus up, no one is stopping them.


I said whose plays better may decide the series and that CJ/Wes were playing at a really high level. Artest is awful on offense and LO can be inconsistent.

I think you took some things out of context when really all I was trying to do is say is this series will be close.

-Charlie.