The New Logo

The New Logo

Friday, May 14, 2010

The Milwaukee Brewers: The Cheating Husband of Baseball

Just when you think you can write something positive about the Milwaukee Brewers, they come back and get swept by the Atlanta Braves. Not to mention, Ryan Braun got hurt in game one but that still doesn’t excuse the fact the pitching staff decided to lay a stink bomb in the form of Manny Parra and Carlos Villanueva. I cannot understand how the pitching staff could give up five or more runs in three straight games to a team who is 14th in batting and an awful road team. As I did with Marquette in the middle of the season, I cannot put too much stock in the Brewers because they always seem to let me down. 

Can someone give me another reason to go Miller Park other than enjoying a tailgate and a couple beers?  I mean the Crew right now are the worst team at home so far this season.  They have played good teams at home but still that doesn't excuse putting a bad performance at home. If you are still reading, my title can be explain perfectly from my recent watching stint of the Sopranos... When the Crew is with their mistress (on the road) they play pretty well and seem to loose out there. But when they are back with their wife (the fans) the team looks tired, disinterested, and have no desire to be there. In addition, this is the same thing that happened with Tony Soprano when he is with his Russian mistress he doesn't have a care in the world and then at home he just seems pissed all the time ready to whack somebody on sight.   

Also I am starting to lose faith in Ken Macha. I am not saying I am ready to call for his head but some decisions he has made in the past couple of days makes it appear that Macha might pulling a Griffey Jr. and sleeping in the clubhouse between innings.  I already discussed the decision to bring in Parra on Monday, and then on Wednesday, the Brewers had a big inning started in the six inning, already run in (2-1 ATL) and runners on first and second.  Prince Fielder flies out again which has become natural occurrence for the big fella, then Casey McGehee comes out who is the hottest Brewer right now comes to plate....

In what way would it be a good idea to steal Jody Gerut to third?  I could understand maybe if Gregg Zaun/Corey Hart/Alcides Escobar, but McGehee?!  This guy has hit everything in sight in the past week and is really hitting the ball.  After sending Gerut who is called out, the Brewers had two outs and wouldn't you know McGehee drives in the lone run on the base with a deep double.  I understand Macha trying to create offense but it makes no sense when the middle of the order is up to the plate. 

My confidence level for the Brewers against the Phillies this weekend: 3.  The Phils always have our number and seem to dominate us every time they play the Crew.  I expect 1-2 or even a sweep leaving them with a pathetic home stand.  I wish I had listened to the anonymous commenter who told me the Brewers finish no better than fourth, I had too much faith and now I have none.

-Charlie.

No comments: