The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Interview with Fant, Top 3 Coolest Former Illinois Residents I Know

The ranking would be probably 1. My father  Tied for second would be Brett, and Fant.  Both are Cubs fans unlike my dad who was never a Cubs fan (White Sox) and really didn't like the Bears that much.  Therefore he brought me up the proper way... I kid.   Here we go...

1. First off, your thoughts on the Championship weekend?
The first thing I'll mention is I was correct in my predictions of the games (I have no proof, but take my word for it.). In the AFC, I was surprised at how the Jets started off hotter than a pistol. Their blitzing really seemed to get at Manning, but like the great QB he is, he started to pick a part the Jets secondary in the second half. In the NFC, I was cheering for the Saints to win but not as much as my roommates seemed to be. More or less they were cheering for the demise of Brett Favre, but needless to say we were all cheering for the Saints. I think that had this game been played in Minnesota, that the outcome might have been different.

2. Pretty standard question this week but did the Saints win the game or did the Vikes screw the pooch?
I think the Vikings screwed the pooch more so than the Saints winning the game. I mean, how many times can you play with fire before you get burnt? All the turnovers the Vikings had you knew that it could eventually bite them in the rear.

3. One person that impressed you the most during the playoffs and why?
I'd have to go with Darrelle Revis. To be truthful here, I had never heard of Darrelle Revis before the playoffs because of my lack of enthusiasm in following anything that has to do with Jets. I was impressed in his playmaking skills and how teams were afraid to pass his way.

4. Quick Super Bowl comment, do you think it's smart for Gregg Williams to talk shit to Peyton Manning? (If you didn't hear about it, he said they need to get "remember me" hits)
I did not hear the comments that Gregg Williams made, but I don't think it is a good idea to talk shit about Peyton Manning. He is the best qb in the league and it is not smart to give players more motivation than necessary.

5. Is Mark Sanchez the next great quarterback in the NFL or will he fall by the waste side like Joe Flacco?
I wouldn't say Joe Flacco has fallen by the waste side just yet. He just completed his second year in the league and helped his team get to the playoffs in both of those years. I think that Flacco is going to be a good quarterback in this league. Nothing too special, just a quarterback you can win with from time to time. I think that Mark Sanchez will fall more into that category than be an elite quarterback in the league. Sanchez is a guy you can win with, but also could be expendable if an upgrade is available.

6. Who is more tortured as sports fans, Minnesota Vikings fans or Chicago Cub fans?
Seeming how I am a Cub fan, I'll go with the Cubs on this one. I know both teams have had their fair share of heartbreaking misses but this one hits close to home for me. I was heartbroken in 2003 and in 2008 when they lost in the playoffs. I wasn't around for the 1969 and 1984 collapses but have heard they were gut wrenching as well.

7. Speaking of the Cubs, you are a fan of the Cubbies... Have you liked what they have done this season so far? And would there be something they could do?
I think they have done a fair job this offseason upgrading the team. I like the signings of Marol Byrd and Xavier Nady. I think they can provide some depth in the outfield. Byrd is going to take command of centerfield and Fukudome is going to move back to right field, which is his better position. Getting rid of Milton Bradley was a necessary maneuver that they took care of this winter. I also am excited about the signing of Chad Tracy to a minor league contract. If he rights his ship, I think he can be a sleeper on this team. I do think however that they can still upgrade in the bullpen and also add another arm in the rotation to have as an insurance policy because of Ted Lilly's surgery.

8. Where do you think the Cubs will finish this season in the NL Central this season and what will take for the Cubs to overtake the Cardinals?
Being the optimist that I am, I have no doubts the Cubs will win the NL Central this season. The Cubs one 83 games last season and there were many things that went wrong for them. Soriano, Soto, and Bradley vastly under produced and were a major reason why the offense struggled throughout the season. Another reason was Aramis Ramirez missed a significant chunk of the season. He is the Cubs best hitter and not having him in the lineup hurt them. A third reason was having Milton Bradley on the team. At first I was open to having him on the team and I thought I would give him a chance. Instead, Bradley proved to be what he always has been: a real tool bag. He was a cancer in the locker room, and when he was sent home for the season in the middle of September there was applause in the Cub clubhouse from the players about the suspension. If Soriano and Soto have numbers close to their career averages there will be no doubt that the Cubs will win the division.

9. On to the NBA, what are your thoughts on the season so far?
I have really been impressed with the current hot streak the Bulls are on in the current west coast road trip. Even during the Jordan years, the west coast trip was notorious for giving the Bulls problems. They have won 4 in a row against some quality teams and I hope their improved play continues. A big surprise to me this year is how well the Grizzlies have played. With a 25-19 record, they are one of the most improved teams in the league. The nucleus of Gay, Mayo, and Randolph has the Grizzlies playing really well. The Thunder are also another surprise team. Kevin Durant is turning out to be an absolute stud and is going to make Portland look foolish yet again for passing on an elite basketball player (Man, it must be tough being a Blazer fan watching the draft.).

10. Are you happy to see Derrick Rose improve after what appeared to be a sophomore slump for November/December?
Well of course I am happy to see Derrick Rose improve his play over last season. He was still a little bothered by an injured ankle in the early goings of the season but now it appears that he is 100%. He is really beginning to blossom into an elite point guard in this league and was recently named to the Eastern Conference All-Star team. He is learning how to take over at the end of games and finishing them off. His strength and quickness makes him one of the unique talents in this league. If the Bulls can somehow land either Chris Bosh or Amare Stodamire through a trade or the free agent market this offseason, I look for the Bulls to be a real contender in the East for a long time.
11. Do you think the Gilbert Arenas suspension was justified or would you have liked to see something more severe?
I think that Arenas got what he deserved. There is no room for a person to bring weapons into the workplace. He used to be one of my favorite players in the league, but this sitatuation really makes me disappointed in him. If he felt that he was threatened at the arena then he should have hired additional security and/or notified current stadium security of any threat that he might have faced. As for the other guy, Crittenton, you are already a no name player in the league already. Why would you also bring a gun into the workplace? Both guys got what they deserved.
12. Now, you wrote on your blog that you have no problem with A.I. getting into the All-Star game, why is it okay for a player who has only scored 14.6 to start in an All-Star Game.
Let me clarify things here because it sounds like people got the wrong message. With how the current system is set up in having fans vote in players to start the all-star game, fans should vote in players that they want to see play in the game. Me personally, I would not vote in Iverson to start or even play in the game. I have never been a huge Iverson fan, but I respect a fans decision to vote him in the game if he/she wants to see him play.

13. The blog, could you tell us on what you are working on and what is your goal with the blog?
Absolutely. It is a collaboration blog between Eric Nohelty and myself. We wanted to have a blog where we would discuss current topics in the sports world and give our opinions on the subject. We feel that we can give some insight and just our overall opinions. If you would like to check out our blog here is a link http://www.dailysportsgrind.blogspot.com/

-Charlie.

No comments: