The New Logo

The New Logo

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Bubble Mindset

I cannot begin to tell you how exciting the past three weeks have been for me in terms of college basketball.  Every Marquette game is the most meaningful game of the season and it continues every game with the Warriors flirting with the bubble every week. 

The last four years I haven't had to worry about making the NCAA Tournament because the Big 3 of Dominic James, Jerel McNeal, and Wesley Matthews.  It was almost expected that Marquette would make the tournament with those guys and had it not been for James' injury last season, I personally believe that Marquette would have been 3 or 4 seed.  

The new bubble thinking leads to me almost having a heart attack every game.  It seems like every game is close in the past two months and only the South Florida game last Saturday was the only one that seemed easy for the Golden Eagles.  Other than that, I am pulling out my hair, yelling at the computer/TV, and bitching about different players.  Even though, anything can happen in those games I personally like those games because they are exciting.  I never know what it will bring and yes, there is the chance Marquette could fall flat on their faces.  

To add to the close games, have anyone else realized how much more comfortable Marquette feels in late games?  If you forgot, they seemed to shit the bed every time it got close the early part of January (see: Villanova (X2), West Virginia, DePaul) This also led for me to write this disappointed post  and at the end, I thought the close wins might not even come.  Then add the road game against UConn, and Providence, I feel Marquette figured it out in the late portions of the game.  In addition, Marquette looked dead in the water against Cincinnati on the road with some very poor possessions late in the game pulled that win out of nowhere in overtime. 

With all of this being said, I hope Marquette doesn't lay an egg against St. Johns but like I said early with being a bubble team, it means that everything in a game can happen.

-Charlie.

No comments: