The New Logo

The New Logo

Monday, February 22, 2010

My Long Awaited Tiger Post

I need to do it.   I am sorry to all.  It has to be done.  Another person writing about Tiger Woods, and not to mention, I am three days late.  What?!  That's a lifetime, so many things have happened... you cannot do that.  Well, I am going to and I am writing three other posts so I am actually burying the whole thing all together but whatever here I go.

Tiger Woods had always been one of my athletes because I believed that he was the hardest worker in his sport plus was the absolute best at what he did.  I never really cared that he pretty much hated everyone in the media and that he hated the fans in many ways.  If Tiger had it his way, he would play in front of no one and just play golf taking advice from caddy Steve Williams.  But that didn't matter to me and honestly when the allegations of him cheating on his wife Elin, I felt like he is just like any other athlete and I stood by him because if you decided not to like every pro that cheated, you wouldn't like anyone in professional sports.

The other questions to all the Tiger haters... Did Tiger kill a guy?  Nope, that was Dante Stallworth and Leonard Little of the NFL who were both drunk when they killed a man and virtually got away with it (both playing in the NFL). Did Tiger beat up animals?  Nope, no wasn't Woods either, that was Michael Vick who honestly did his time, yet he still hurt many "mans-best friend" and the images really make you cringe.  Did any of Tiger's mistresses accuse him of rape?  Nah, that was Kobe Bryant who like a lot of athletes cheated on his wife and got caught. The reason why people cared about Tiger Woods was simple, no one saw it coming.

People believed that Tiger lived his life played golf and was this class-act citizen. The media made him out to be the greatest guy in the world and loved his wife more than any person of the world. Woods understood that no one would report on his indiscretions because simply, it's Tiger Woods.  No one ever went against Woods because he would find a way to bury you.  The media never questioned things Woods did because he is the most well-known athlete in the world.  The PGA never dealt with something like this and had no idea how to handle such a topic in a country-club sport.    Every week, people wanted more about Tiger because it mesmerized people that this could actually happen to a person held with such high regard and statchure.  Therefore, it did not surprise me in the slightest that people especially the media had such mixed reactions about Tiger's apology.

People of my Dad's age loved it thought it was genuine and sincere.  While people my age hated it and though he could have done much better.  I personally am going to take the old guys side in this one because I knew going into the whole thing that Tiger never really shows emotion. People called him out for being a robot and not really caring, but let me ask you this when have you ever seen an interview with Tiger where he was emotional?  Only when his dad passed away did Tiger seem vulnerable when talking about a certain topic. The speech exposed Tiger and made him apologize to the world for CHEATING.  It happens a lot in our society and to make a guy apologize for not living up to the standards that media put before him is absolutely absurd.  Tiger's people said "The world needs to hear from you because you cannot live in fear of them." I agree that he needed to say something but to just lay it out there to apologize to the world for committing multiple infidelities is plain stupid.  

I think Tiger is done for the year.  I hate to say that but I really do not think he wants to come back this year dealing with the amount of media pressure that will be on him all year.  Let him handle his business and figure out how to save his marriage before he tries to play golf at various locations around the United States.  If at any point, Elin decides that Tiger and her cannot work then it's time for Tiger to play golf again. Although, if Tiger Woods wants to come back, he can because simply, he is Tiger Woods.

-Charlie.

No comments: