The New Logo

The New Logo

Monday, February 8, 2010

Where College Basketball Becomes Relevent Again

Just a note for all you MU fans out there, currently the bracketologist has the Golden Eagles right now outside of the tournament and currently considered the 66th. Thats okay I will take that right now, huge game on Saturday. I got a good response from the Big East Bubble Watch and in a couple weeks, I might try to place the top twenty-five teams in the tournament.  Anyways here we go with the picks for the week.

Monday
1. Kansas at 14. Texas- If you didn't hear, this is the Rivalry week for ESPN so you get a ton of good games all week. There was so much anticipation for this game weeks ago but the Longhorns have fallen hard off the wagon. They shoot an abysmal 61 percent from the free-throw line and seem to fall apart in clutch situations. I like the Jayhawks in convincing fashion.  KU 83-70 

5. Villanova at 4. West Virginia- For the record, I call Georgetown's win last week but you have to believe me on that one.  I think the Wildcats are at a big time disadvantage in this game with the Mountaineer lineup being all over 6'7 and the Cats have a relatively small lineup.  I think we are looking at back-to-back loses from the Wildcats, just cannot see how they stop all their big guys.  WVA 75-71

Tuesday
6. Purdue at 10. Michigan State- Rough week for the Spartans as they lost two games this week and Kalin Lucus couldn't play against Illinois.  I think this game will be an absolute battle for the most part even if Lucus doesn't play.  Although, Sparty needs to find another leader in big moments because no one seems to want the ball when Lucus isn't in there.  I will say he plays in this one and they can beat the Boilermakers who are different team on the road.  MSU 65-59 

8. Georgetown at Providence- Is this the Friars' last stand?  I never considered them on the bubble in the first place, but if they want to start making noise they need a win on Tuesday. I know the Hoyas can sometimes lose it mentally but I do not think the Dunkin' Donuts Center is that intimidating therefore they should win handily.  GTOWN 71-57  

12. Tennessee at 24. Vanderbilt- This game should be called the SEC battle for the second fiddle to the boys in Lexington. I am still impressed with what the Vols have done since losing Tyler Smith, but I think they do not have enough to beat Vandy, a great home team.  VANDY 75-72 

Illinois at 13. Wisconsin- The Badgers right now seem to be in the best position to win the Big Ten title with no having to play MSU, OSU, and Purdue for the rest of the year. Two games against the Illini are the two toughest games left and while I was impressed with Illinois on Saturday, no way they come into the Kohl Center and win.  UW 64-56 

Wednesday
UConn at 3. Syracuse- The first game since the six overtime classic and these teams seem to give their best against each other. The Huskies need this win to get them back into the NCAA tournament discussion but the Orange looked very impressive in a 17 pt win on the road against Cincinnati on Sunday. I think the combo of Wesley Johnson and Andy Rautins is the difference in this one. CUSE 78-69 

7. Duke at North Carolina- I will be doing something about Carolina on Wednesday or Thursday.  This obviously is a must win for the Heels and every other game really is from here on out.  Duke played well on the road this weekend and I think Kyle Singler might be peaking.  There is really no way I think the Dukies lose this one, but it will still be a close game.  DUKE 89-82  

-Charlie

No comments: