The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

5. Cleveland Still Hungover From The Decision

I realize this is a few days late but I already explained my situation. I cannot help but think that Cleveland is still hurting from Thursday night even though they signed Kyle Lowry today. I can understand somewhat Cavs fans of what you are going through right now. I don't believe I am on your level of grieving but I truly do get what is going on.  It's an uber reality where you believe it's a sports nightmare where you might have been the only one happy for 12 hour coverage of George Steinbrenner today because you didn't have to see LeBron.

The wheels began to turn on this when your friend Eric asked the Sports Guy on Twitter, what is a bigger slap in the face: LBJ leaving Cleveland or Brett Favre leaving Green Bay for Minnesota.  I thought about this for awhile because I knew Simmons probably wouldn't tweet Eric back.  I had trouble coming with a decision and had to remind myself how mad I was about the Brett Favre to Minnesota thing last season.

What's funny is I told people that LeBron was much worse but then looking back on the Favre thing, I couldn't have been more mad.  I really had so much hate in my stomach that week, that first game the Minnesota Viking plays, and the first game against Favre.  Then when the Packers got swept, and lost the division, I felt like I needed to drink 50 beers to swallow the pain.

But what I haven't dealt with it is none of my three local teams never winning a championship for the city. Since 1948, there hasn't been a victory parade in the city of Cleveland. At least I have the Packers 97' Super Bowl to go off and I can be content knowing I saw one championship in my lifetime while some fans have never seen one. It's not just that Cleveland has a bunch of shitty teams for years upon years (right now all three are awful).  The Fumble, The Drive, Jose Mesa, and the two LeBron choke jobs are all examples of the pain this city has felt without winning one championship.

The LeBron's choice to leave for Miami hurt more than Favre because this dealt blow for the Cleveland fan base to win championship or even have a competitive team. The Packers went to the playoffs when Favre went to Minnesota and we had a star in Aaron Rodgers. The Cavs have none of that, I mean who they look to... Antwan Jamison?  That is about it for the Cavs and let's not forget, LeBron is from Ohio. I wrote two weeks ago that LeBron didn't care about the city for the franchises he adored in other sports. I think that point made it clear when LeBron decide to announce on national television that he would leave Cleveland for South Beach. 

An Ohio kid basically told the state that it was too small for him and he needed to move on to create new memories. He didn't care about the history of Cleveland ever and for that I am sorry to the fans who believed that. I am sorry that you had a selfish basketball player even though your ownership should shoulder more blame than they actually have. Cleveland weeps again and hopefully they will find a championship in something before I turn 50.

-Charlie.

No comments: