The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

3. What the World Cup Meant to Me

On Sunday, the World Cup ended and left me disappointed. I looked forward to waking up early at 9 to watch the games and learn about the beautiful game. I was always an outside fan and I liked to watch plus play a ton of FIFA against a lot of my friends.  But I think the World Cup transformed me into a fan.

I do not want to sound like John Madden but as the games go on, the games got better. I really became excited to watch and check my work schedule to see if I was able to watch the games. In 2006, I thought i hated the Netherlands but after watching them against Brazil, I liked their physical play and that Wesley Sneijder was playfully patting the Brazilians on their face after making a bad call.  Although, the downside of the Dutch was Nigel De Jong, that man is a bonafide asshole who broke the American's Stuart Holden's ankle in a friendly and dropkicked a Spainard who I cannot think of.  De Jong is a man I will not root for but the Dutch are okay with me.

I have to also give credit to my man Doz who jumped on Diego Forlan bandwagon before everybody else did. He told me when we were still in group stages, how much he loved Forlan. He began to call them Fightin' Forlans and texted me with updates whenever he could. He had a love affair with Petr Cech last World Cup, and now it's Forlan. Also let me add, everybody loved him by the quarterfinals and wanted Urugauy to advance as far as possible.  I hope he moves on to greener pastures than Athletico Madrid so we can watch him more.

I have already watched a couple MLS games to quench my pallet for soccer even if it's sub-par compared to the European style, which I have to wait to watch in August. I have already declared I am a Tottingham Hotspur fan and before you say "This is only because of Simmons!!!!!"  It's not, I liked the squad when I played with them in FIFA 08 and stayed on the bandwagon because I didn't want to jump to the usual teams like Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, and Inter Milan. That would be too easy, and I had to convert to a team who not many people would like. I cannot wait until the English Premier League starts in August and I hope ESPN continues their wonderful coverage of futbol.

-Charlie.

1 comment:

ron said...

A) I hope tottingham hotspur is at least as good as tottenham hotspur

B) I bet you only played with them because simmons had already announced he was a fan, so it's still because of simmons.

C) tottenham is a very strongly followed team based out of london with a quite substanstial fanbase and a good amount of recent success, I know probably just as many tottenham fans as at least half of those teams. tottenham even finished in the top 4 this season ahead of liverpool (who finished 7th), and will play in the champs league. so dont act like youre picking a wolves or a west brom, or even a team while theyre down.