The New Logo

The New Logo

Sunday, October 26, 2008

NBA Preview: Eastern Conference

Well its already the NBA season again where who knows what will happen. I will rank teams from the best to the worst in the east and give you my thoughts on all of them.

1. Boston Celtics- Can it really be anyone other than the Celts? They bring everyone back minus James Posey and they are poised to make another run at the title. Also another thing to watch for this year is the maturity of Rajon Rando at the point guard.

2. Detriot Pistons- I think 2 through 5 is a complete toss-up despite the new coach in Michael Curry, I think the Pistons have the most expeirence out of any of the teams that will be mentioned and Rodney Stuckney is the 6th man of the year this year, sorry Manu.

3. Orlando Magic- They are number three because they are in final conference in the East, otherwise that would belong to the Cavaliers (more on them in four). The Magic are the best team in the Southeast conference with a good guard play and Dwight Howard controlling the middle, they should run away with the Southeast.

4. Cleveland Cavaliers- I think it will be battle all year between the Cavs and Pistons for the second spot in the east and I dont think Lebron will be MVP this year although I think his three-point shot has improved. Just remember Mo Williams is now your point guard, he is no different than the other shoot-first PGs you already have.

5. Philadelphia 76ers- This team could be the second-fourth seed but I dont think they are good enough to challenge the Celts for the Atlantic title. They have a really good makeup of players in Elton Brand, Andre Miller, and Andre Iguodula to name a few but Brand has to stay heathly, and the same goes for anyone else. A big injury could derail this team.

6. Toronto Raptors- Almost the same concept goes for the Raptors as they have an addition in Jeremaine O'Neal whose oft-injuried is a concern but if they do stay healthy this team will be a force. I think Jose Calderon is underrated as a point guard and they have the best tandem of big men in the east.

7. Miami Heat- I am very high on the Heat this year and maybe its my own bias hoping my boy Dwayne Wade is going to have an MVP-like year after his performance in the Olympics and that Michael Beasley, Shawn Marion is enough to get this team to the playoffs. I think they might be better than this but it will depend on if they can find a soild point guard out of Mario Chalmers and Shaun Livingston.

8. Atlanta Hawks- This is truly a crapshoot from 8-12, anyone of these next four could be in the playoffs but I think its going to take at least a .500 record to it. To me, I like the makeup of the Hawks with Josh Smith, Joe Johnson and others. Espically Smith, I was very high on him last year and I think he will show you why he needs to be in the conversations of superstar players.

9. Chicago Bulls- With the addition of Derrick Rose this year and getting Vinny Del Negro as their coach, the Bulls may be a playoff team but they have no force down low with Drew Gooden or Joakim Noah also you wonder how Del Negro will keep all the guards happy. I dont see much out of the Bulls this year.

10. Washington Wizards- Now they are missing Agent Zero once again for almost the whole year and in my opinion, the East is better than last year so they will not be able to get by without him this year. Caron Butler and Antwan Jamison are good players but they arent superstars which maybe is a reason why they can never get by Cleveland or the first round.

11. Charlotte Bobcats- Oh would you look at this? Larry Brown is again coaching and I am sure I will have a couple articles berating this prick when he wants his entire team to be traded away, they have yet to win a game in the preseason. They have the make-up of a low-seed playoff team but that will probably not happen. DJ Augustin will be great for them off the bench.

12. Milwaukee Bucks- I know you are asking yourself where is the Bucks preview? No go, I really cannot put together a Bucks' analysis since I cant watch most games in Eau Claire and frankly, I really cant call myself a loyal Bucks fan. I always hope they do well but I dont pay that much attention, kind of like some Brewers fans I know. I think they could make the playoffs but they play in a tough Central divison.

13. Indiana Pacers- The Pacers have a okay squad TJ Ford, Danny Granger, and others. But they dont have that great of coaching and the big men suck as well. The Central once again, is one of the tougher division in the East so they or the Bucks will find themselves at the bottom.

14. New Jersey Nets- Oh but they have all these tools! Yeah, yeah. Yi isnt that good, Vince Carter is close to being washed up and Devin Harris/Josh Boone are both good young ball players for them. But they are really making way for one Lebron James.

15. New York Knicks- Whats good about the Knicks, just wait til 2010 to make that push for LeBron. Sure Mike D'Antoni will help but nowhere near what they might expect.

No comments: