The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Can the Rays do the Improbable?

In a perfect world when I dont have homework, I would of love to have this post done on the Sunday when the Rays clinched but as you can see that didnt happen so I have it here with my World Series prediction.

The Rays were a team who I had told some people "Yeah they will win 75-80, there not as bad as the years past and they might overtake the Blue Jays for third" And I was really big on Evan Longoria, but I had no idea they would be this good and be in the World Series. It all starts with Joe Maddon who Doz called "Rick Vaughan 20 years later". Great comparison, anyways he has brought this relaxed sense of baseball with the whole focus being a "Team Effort". To me thats a remarkable thing to do with such a young ball team who could get selfish at times. The thing that makes this a better story that the Marlins of the past years is they have so much more young talent than the Marlins did. Florida at both times had some young talent but there were some great veteran leaders sprinkled in as well. The Rays have some in the bullpen and with Cliff Floyd, yet its nowhere near what the Marlins had. Even if the Rays dont win, they will be a threat to contend for years to come.

Now on to the prediction, I dont know I have picked against both of these teams and I honestly think the Rays will do this thing but they are going to be pushed like none other. The big key is how they handle Cole Hamels tonight but they have enough lefty-pitching to deal with Ryan Howard and Chase Utley as well. Also Philly always chokes in the World Championship for examples see Flyers, Eagles, and Phillies (Remember Mitch "Wild Thing" Williams). Tampa in 7.

-Charlie

No comments: