The New Logo

The New Logo

Monday, February 11, 2008

College Basketball Round-Up

So I am not going to do a post on Signing Day because I really do not care as some freaks do because one knee injury could end some of these prospects and Terelle Pryor did not sign therefore I really had nothing to talk about because I do not need spend hours upon hours on Scout or Rivals.

-Before I begin I must give an ode to Bob Knight who was a legend in coaching and made sure kids work so hard at school and basketball. He was the true type of person who really didnt give a flying fuck what you thought about him. I really hope if he comes back that it will not be for a couple years because then it just seems like he wanted to get out of Texas Tech. I do not think he is a hyprocite at all I just believe he wanted to get the kids adjusted to Pat Knight. Lets all hope Bob makes more golf videos


I had really felt that college baksetball just was not that special all year, it really does not have that one special player that you make sure to watch every Saturday. So for Duke-UNC to come and then great games on Thursday night leading into Saturday it really felt to me as college baksetball is beginning to peak.

-I am not going to use the "Ty Lawson Excuse" to bail out North Carolina because you have to play with what you got and sometimes that might not mean having all of your tools. Duke played a great basketball game and I think Hansbrough did not get the ball enough in the second half which was one reason they lost. The other was Duke was flat-out unreal from beyond the arc.

-This game also solidified the fact that the Dukies are legit which is good because then it gives us all reason to bash the Bailey Bros. when they falter. They could have a great chance at making a run for a National Championship but I need a little more from Lance Thomas to prove to me they can stop a great big man.

-My final part about Duke is that they have no go-to-guy when things go rough in a game. No one they can throw the weight of a game on and during the long tourney process you get those games. I feel the same about the Wisconsin Badgers.

-How about Purdue though? Matt Painter has done of a helluva job with these kids who four of them are freshman getting serious playing time. I have a feeling we will be talking about Purdue as a dominate Big Ten team in the next five years if everyone stays in school.

-Indiana could be one of the more overrated teams in the nation (no wins in the top 50 RPI) or its just based off the lack of competition in the Big Ten. They were not all that great against a weak Illinois and should of lost if it was not for Shawn Pruitt complelty choking. It will be very interesting to see how they handle the Badgers on Wednesday because the last time they met IU looked lost.

-Private Schools got the best of both of the Wisconsin big boys (UW, Marquette) and frankly I am furious that Marquette dropped that game. They had some many shots at the basket that they could not make and their three-point shooting kept them in the game (12-25) but also taking 25 threes is awful. Proving once again that either the players are not understanding Tom Crean's zone offense or his zone offense is that bad. They have a MUST-WIN week against Seton Hall and Pittsburgh both of those wins would be a great and I really think Crean has been able to figure out Pittsburgh.

-The Pac-10 is the best conference in basketball I have been convinced after the Washington Huskies who had lost four straight knocked off #4 UCLA by ten so it was not like they won last second, they gave them a beat down. Also Arizona State an up and coming team beat a struggling Arizona team who showed that they were truly missing Nick Wise.

-I am pumped that Tenneesee-Memphis is next weekend. This will help out my bracket decision if I am going to go with either team. I am still not on the Memphis bandwagon nor am I with Bruce's Vols. I just think this game will by far be the best one so far in this season, cannot wait.

-My final blurb will be to a new blog that was started by a friend of mine who gives an interesting take on going to the University of Madison plus insight on a lot of music you probably have not heard also includes many random thoughts. Good Stuff

Charlie.

1 comment:

TJ said...

A lot of people would argue that Butch is the Badgers' go-to guy (see 2/13/08 vs. Indiana). The guy is so hot and cold though. He's the most inconsistent player I've ever seen.