The New Logo

The New Logo

Monday, March 3, 2008

Marquette-Georgetown: Depression City Baby.


Well I was going to write this Saturday night but I realized it would turn out into a huge rant about the game and how depressed I was at the outcome. So now composed I can write a logical post about it


So let it begin


-First off I was at the game which made it two times worse and to add insult to it, I was in the student section which made it two more times worse. Although it was the best atmosphere I have witnessed and a great time with my buddy Mach. After the game, every Hoyas fan I saw I wanted to punch them in the head. Mach whose a complete fanatic about the Warriors, "I have not been this depressed since Jerry Smith last year (awful game)."


-I really cannot explain Dominic James fouling Johnathan Wallace whose Gtown's best free-throw shooter of ALL-TIME. Wallace was rushed into the corner, he would of likely been off-balanced when he attempted the shot. All DJ had to do is stick his hands up and that shot probably does not go in.


-Not all of the blame can be put on James for the defeat, Jerel McNeal and Lazar Hayward shot a combined 5-29 from the field when that happens usually results in a blowout for the other team. It was great perseverance by the other players to get through the rough games by both McNeal and Hayward. Hopefully Lazar can break out of his mini-slump in the next couple of days.


-I am still puzzled why Tom Crean calls a time-out with .17.6 left down one, he had been running a man press that seemed to confused the Hoyas somewhat and they knew who to foul too. If he saves it, Marquette can draw up a play to try to send it to another overtime.


-The refs were decent throughout the game until the last two minutes. They just seemed to make some calls and not others, such as the Hoya player who nearly tackles McNeal (I believe) no call then the jump ball call when DJ clearly stole the ball (it was a foul if anything) that led to the dagger in OT from Johnathan Wallace which was a nuts shot.


-Definitely props go out to Wes Matthews. He carried the team in the first half and had a helluva game for the Warriors on Saturday. I think he is ready to blow up and might be an underrated force in the next following weeks.


-Big time props to the front line of Ousmane Barro, Trevor Mbwake, and Dwight Burke. Granted, Roy Hibbert (aka Shrek) had 20 points, it was a very quiet for sure. All of them did a great job on containing them in man-to-man which I did not expect Marquette to do. Very promising for the next couple of weeks.


-I really believe that Georgetown is the luckiest team in the nation. They just keep pulling wins out their asses and some would say "thats a sign of a good team", whatever I will call it luck. I think MU beats them if they meet again the Big East Tourney.


-MU can ill-afford to lose against Syracuse. Their bubble has pretty much popped but playing in the Carrier Dome is a bitch to play at. Plus Marquette does not handle a 2-3 zone and thats all they will see from the Orange. I hope for a big Warrior win because I need some bragging rights against Shay.


Charlie.

No comments: