The New Logo

The New Logo

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

An Ode to Brett Favre


As you all heard Brett Favre retired yesterday. If you were like me, you looked at the television multiple times, did not want to believe it and then convinced yourself that your day is completely ruined leading to just deep depression. I knew it was coming but I never thought it was going to happen so I was not prepared for this dark day-But we have to move on. I am just going to reflect on some of my favorite Brett Moments and what they all meant to me.


-I am 19 years old, all I know is Brett Favre as the Green Bay Packer quarterback, granted I was a just a toddler when the Majick man was throwing the pigskin but I do not remember that at all. All I know is Brett doin the damn thing every Sunday.


-My very first Brett Favre memory is him diving into the endzone to beat the Atlanta Falcons in County Stadium to get into the playoffs I believe. I also remembered how much we got owned by the Cowboys and how I hated them.


-Then sitting in my living room watching Brett throwing the deep ball to Andre "Bad Moon" Rison in Super Bowl 31 and his pass to Antonio Freeman then Desmond Howard return. Probably one of the happiest days of my life even at the young age of eight.


-Then the next year I realized how much a prick John Elway was robbing Brett of his second Super Bowl and how much I cried that night over that lost. Then that next day going to school having nothing exciting to talk about just feeling like I do know, depressed.


-Watching Favre make all his receivers into playmakers such as Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, and Donald Driver. He has probably broke most of their fingers out of the five of them.


-Every underhand shovel pass brought their own personality to add to legend that is BF4.


-When he came out and had the game of his life against the Oakland Raiders after his father passed away. That game was obviously important to me five years ago but has so much more meaning now as I realized how much my father and I's relationship involves sports. I know if I was in that same situation I would play for my dad without a question and I know that's what he would want me to do.


-I will just missed the fact of laughing at all of Brett's different characteristics on the field just playing the game because it was fun to him and enjoying every minute he was on the field was just so special which I think we will not see again in a long long time.


-Every minute that I watched of Brett Favre I loved even the INTs I knew shouldnt of happened and got pissed, I feel blessed being able to grow being a Packer fan and watch Brett Favre.


-As I am writing this I have my Ipod going and Kanye West's "The Glory" comes on and he has a line in there that sums up how Wisconsin would think of Brett Favre. "Even if I came out in a speedo, I would still be look at as a fuckin champion."


No doubt we wouldn't think any different of Brett. I am not going to go into why he retired and all of that mess because all this is really is telling my audience how much I enjoyed watching Brett Favre play.


So this is what its like Bulls fan who lost MJ, Celtics fans who lost Bird, Broncos fan who lost Elway and Dolphins fan who lost Marino. Lemme tell you even though time has past since your legends left you, it still sucks to go through it.


Charlie.

No comments: